YRCSS aims at bringing together the Young Researchers working on Complex Systems. We would like to create a community of Young Researchers and Scientists who exchange ideas and consult each other, working together and building the basis of future collaborations. We would like these exchanges to take place in a less formal way than in conferences which may be puzzling for Young Researchers, but still formal enough to retain the seriousness and productivity of high level scientific collaborations.
Under different names, YRCSS has been active since ECCS 2011. Currently, the administrative and executive organ of YRCSS is the YRCSS Committee, which resides within the scope of the Complex Systems Society (CSS). In the years, we organized Satellites in which young researchers could present their work and Panel sessions in which senior researchers gave pieces of career and life advice to the younger members of the complex systems society.
- Membership to YRCSS is free.
- All YRCSS members have full access to all the activities promoted and organized by YRCSS.
- Mandatory requirements for joining YRCSS as a Full Member:
- being an active CSS Member
- being a master student or a PhD student or an early (up to four years) post doc working on complex system.
- Full Members of YRCSS retain their membership until they automatically become YRCSS Alumni after four years of post doc.
- Honorary YRCSS Members can be appointed to people not fulfilling the requirements at comma 4) who request being part of YRNCS subject to the approval of the YRCSS Committee.
- YRCSS Alumni and Honorary Members can not be elected for the Committee of YRCSS but can be part of a Working Commission, provided that they are not the coordinators of such commission.
- YRCSS Alumni and Honorary Members can still have access to the online activities of YRCSS.
Structure of the YRCSS
The Young Researchers of the Complex Systems Society Committee, informally YRCSS Committee, is a Committee of the CSS. It is also called “YRCSS Advisory Board”. Here we will refer to it as the Committee.
Formally YRCSS is a group of peer scientists and its administrative and executive organ, the YRCSS Committee, resides within the scope of the Complex Systems Society (CSS). To achieve its aims the Committee may prepare proposals and motions, make statements, create an online community and a job market, organize courses, seminars, schools, satellites, workshops, arrange negotiations and meetings to promote its purpose of existence.
The Committee may, as occasion arises, cooperate with other bodies having similar aims and set up Working Commissions to conduct its work.
The YRCSS is organized in three levels:
- a group of peer scientists which we will refer to as YRCSS,
- an administrative and executive organ which we will refer to as YRCSS Advisory Board,
- a variable number of Working Commissions that can be appointed if needed.
The Advisory Board holds the highest rank in the hierarchy of YRCSS and is responsible to take the decisions.
The number of its members is determined by the Bylaws of the Committee. Currently it is set to six.
The YRCSS Advisory Board shall have:
- a Chair,
- a Secretary,
- a Treasurer.
The Chair, the Secretary and the Treasurer are selected according to the Bylaws of the Committee.
The Committee is convened by the Chair or in his absence by a member appointed by the Chair.
A meeting of the Committee or a meeting that represents the Committee must include the Chair or a member appointed by the Chair.
The Committee decides which activities are going to be promoted on behalf of YRCSS and how to allocate the annual budget to such activities.
The Committee is renewed every two years with the possibility of partial renewal every year.
Duties of the Organs
The Chair is responsible to formally represent the Community.
The Chair is bound to convey the Committee at least once a month.
The Treasurer is responsible for keeping track of the incoming to YRCSS amount of money and of the money spent by YRCSS. She/he should report to the Committee at least once per month.
The Secretary is responsible to make a summary of the decisions taken in every meeting of the Committee and to report the activity of the Working Commissions. She/he has to email these data to all the YRCSS Committee members in the following one week from the meeting.
A meeting of the Committee will specifically:
- decide on any changes to the Bylaws of the Committee;
- create Working Commissions for the organization of its activities;
- decide on the different planned activities or new ones;
- deal with any other matter brought in the agenda by its members.
YRCSS Advisory Board (May 2016 – Present)
Mateusz Wilinski – Chair
Sofia Teixeira – Secretary
Krishna Bathina – Treasurer
Previous YRCSS Advisory Board members
Sarah De Nigris
Jasmin S. A. Link
Evelyn (Evangelia) Panagakou